I was planning on doing another live blog about smallville this week, but since it’s been so long since i’ve watched an episode right when it aired, I forgot it started at 8 est and not 9 est. So when I turned to the CW at 8:30 I saw a bunch of cheerleaders dancing on a stage and assumed it was that show hellcats. (No I have never watched that show despite it being about cheerleaders, maybe if I knew for a fact that they were college cheerleaders and not high school cheerleaders, that might make a difference.) So i’m watching what i’m assuming is hellcats when all of a sudden Booster Gold shows up and starts talking with his robot buddy. If you don’t know who booster gold is, then you probably have lived a better life than I.
To be fair the only reason I know who booster Gold is from watching an episode of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon… shit I started typing this assuming it would somehow make things appear less nerdy and sad, but no chance after that start. Anyways, that episode of Justice League was centered around booster gold who is under appreciated since he is a show boating attention whore from the 31st (?) century. The only redeeming part of the episode is that it features a guest voice acting appearance by Danika McKellar a.k.a Winnie Cooper. (who plays a super hot super smart scientist which is basically what she really is in real life if you think about it. )
Once I realized that this was Smallville…. or some weird ass crosspromotion with Hellcats, I decided to turn it off and download the episode at work later that night so that I could watch the episode from the beginning. I’m not trying to say that will make it a better viewing experience, since in truth it probably won’t. Usually the longer an episode of Smallville goes on, the less the plot will make sense and the your enjoyment level will follow suit. But on the other hand, I usually spend three or four hours each night at this part time job just surfing the net trying to find something to keep me occupied so watching smallville might help me pass the time.
So currently it is 1:30 am, and I am finished with all of my work until about 5:30 am. Soooooo time for some smallville. While I watch it, I’m going to pause it frequently to make snide comments in here. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
- Smallville has been on for 10 seasons now, and only now, 18 episodes into the last season, do we finally see Clark Kent wearing glasses in his normal every day life. In fact Lois and Clark (*sigh* such a better show) came up with the idea of using glasses as a form of everyday disguise something like three episodes ago, and for some reason he just didn’t wear them until the start of this episode. Also, why not just wear a mask or something when he is going around saving lives. I know that goes against the whole superman thing, but then again, so does every other aspect of this show.
- Oh, i guess they did just try to explain it as Superman (a.k.a “The Blur”) needs to show his face to help instill trust in superheroes after the whole anti vigilante storyline earlier this season. Still…. stupid.
- Booster Gold just saved a kids life… you know something superman could have done if he wasn’t worried about protecting his stupid secret identity. Also Booster Gold is over the top, self promoting, arrogant, and showboating and even with all of that he’s a thousand times more likeable than clark has been on this show. Oh and Booster can fly. Clark still can’t. I hope lois gives Booster Gold head.
- So a new super hero shows up and instead of being excited that another good guy has show up to help out, or at worse suspect that he may be a bad guy in disguise, Clark instead worries about how having this new hero around is going to affect the way people think about him a.k.a the blur. The Emo-ness of the smallville superman is something that is not over looked by most people who watch the show.
- I think Lois Lane is trying to convince a shy teenager to bully girls. Seriously, you have to watch the scene.
- Oh I think that shy kid is going to become the Blue Beetle, which is a super hero I know nothing about. Swear to god, I honestly know nothing about him.
- Ok this is amazing. Kat Grant is Daily Planet reporter who is kind of the antithesis of Lois Lane and in this episode she is a huge fan of booster gold so much so that she bought one of his shirts that says “Booster Gold Fan Club.” One problem. The picture they used as the face on the T-Shirt is taken directly from the comic books and has goggles and a head covering that is not being worn at any point by the character on smallville. I can’t tell if this is just someone being lazy when making the tshirt or if it was done on purpose as a shout out to the DC fans…. although just the fact that they have booster gold in an episode should be enough of a shout out don’t you think.
- oh sweet, we just got to the hellcats i saw before.
- Tom Welling is actually doing a good job on selling the dopey Clark Kent that is familiar to most from the movie and comics. Here’s the problem he’s getting some random guy who’s never met him before to remember Clark Kent as someone who is nothing at all like Superman/Blur. That would be great if Clark hadn’t spent 10 years acting like a non dopey non glasses wearing Superman/Blur lookalike. So when Superman shows up on TV this random guy won’t think for a moment that he is also that dopey reporter from the daily planet, but i’m sure his mail man back in smallville will recognize him in a heartbeat.
- Lois you know they give out multiple keys to the city. it’s not just one.
- HAHAHHAHA Booster Gold just said “I’m kind of a big deal”. it honestly was a funny line.
- Clark kind of saves the day but only temporarily and then just hangs back as booster gold actually saves the day. In most of the other Smallville episodes when this happens it would be a critisism but the way they did it in this episode it kind of worked really well. Also i have no idea how much the Blue Beetle from this episode coincides with the one in the comics. Honestly, The Blue Beetle in this episode looks like those Beetleborgs, you know the weird Mighty morphin Power Rangers ripoff.
- I have no idea why the beatleborgs were fighting a clown makeup wearing jay leno in liberachi clothes.
- Back to smallville, clark continues to hate having to act like a dopey insecure tool so Lois gives him some pity sex. I think. To tell you the truth, I totally don’t understand what that whole last scene was supposed to accomplish.